cosmetics on 91 Spider

In a message dated 5/21/2002 8:01:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Hi All
> I am searching for a glovebox door and power mirror switch for a 91
> spider.
> Also has anyone had any success repairing a power antenna that the motor
> turns but does not operate up or down. Is there a repair kit.
> Bob
> 91 Spider
> Calgary

The glovebox door, if only warped form heat, can be repaired.  I will
(someday... ) have an illustrated article on my successful operation on a 91
vintage door in ALFACIONADA which will probably get reprinted in the Owner.
I am sure we can export the info to Canada without much tax.  If you can't
wait, email me off Digest.

The word on the street is that the electric antenna lift never works.
Replacing it is a waste, as the new one will not work, either.  Some people
(mostly I've heard of this on Milanos but I don't think it makes any
difference) report good luck with a very inexpensive substitute from I think
K-Mart which is reliable.  I junked the whole notion as unneeded and stuck on
a short, flexible, black-rubber coated $5 antenna which works astonishingly
well.  As it can't be snapped off, it serves the same function as the
unreliable retractable.  Of course, some are sticklers...

You may be able to get the mirror switch from APE.  You may pry it out using
a suitable toll and discover you can fix the one you have with a light
abrasive such as Emory cloth, if it's just corrosion that is insulating the
contacts.  Or, ask you friendly neighborhood independent Alfa mechanic.  If
you don't have one, it is time to consider moving.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA