RE: Non-rod Knock Fixed: Timing chain tension adjustment

<snip>
> 1.  Start the car and let it warm up fully -- that
> seems to be important (see below).
>
> 2.  With the car idling at normal speed (~800-1000
> RPM), loosen the adjustment bolt.  (How loose?  I
> rotated it probably haf to three-fourths of a turn, so
> that it took no real effort to turn the wrench.)
>
> 3.  Let the car run for one minute.  Do NOT (according
> to the book) let the RPMs go up during this time.

There's an easier, and better way to do this job.

With the car on a flat surface, and in fifth gear, loosen the tensioner
bolt.  Push the car in the forward direction enough so that the engine goes
through a couple of rotations - you'll need 10 feet or so to do this, so
plan accordingly when you position the car initially.  Without letting the
car slip backwards, tighten the tensioner bolt.

That's it!  No bent valves.

I believe that the factory method has some risks, and the above method is
the 'approved' method.

bs