Re: 164 idiot lights

Richards Bies asks what can cause both the brake pad wear warning light and
the low brake fluid warning lights to stay on in a 164 when fluid and pads
are fine. Im currently experiencing the same problem. The manual says that
the causes are most likely the fluid level sensor, bad relay (up under the
glove box in LHD drive 164s, and very difficult to remove), bad connection
on the pad wear sensors or a bad Alfa Brake Control box. Ive replaced both
the fluid level sensor and relay, with no change. I did a quick visual
inspection of the pad wear connectors They looked OK, but I will need to
pull the wheels off this weekend to disconnect, clean and reconnect the pad
wear sensor wires. Im also going to swap out a Brake Control box from a 164
that is working before investing in a new one.

One other thought would be if the brake light switch, mounted up above the
brake pedal went bad, or had a faulty contact, it could turn both warning
lights on permanently as well.

Rich Lasner
1992 164S
AROC