Re: George Graves and Bandini

Roger LaFerriere (speedreading again, Roger?) incorrectly but harmlessly
credits me with the eyewitness testimony about Bandini's death and ABC's
unwitting culpability. It was of course George Graves who wrote the account
Roger refers to.

Roger goes on to write "Things did begin to change for the better after
Bandini's crash at Monaco and the one result we all experience IS THE LACK OF
GRAPHIC CRASH FOOTAGE in every race broadcast since then! You all notice that
no detailed footage of drivers involved in crashes is ever broadcast."

It has been quite a while since I have watched much racing on TV, (or much
else, either) but my impression has been that most of the footage of European
racing seen on American TV since that era has been feed from European sources
rather than footage shot by our networks. I don't want to be considered a
knee-jerk critic of American popular culture, or an equally knee-jerk accepter
of all things foreign, but I would not automatically credit any great
qualitative improvements in race coverage discretion (or anything else, for
that matter) to the American networks.

It is nice to see the events- interesting, visually stimulating, exciting,
gratifying to have the immediate results - but an intelligently written
account a month later is a hell of a lot more informative, and will still be
interesting reading twenty years later - or in some cases, a hundred (or
thousand) years later. One can of course have both, but lazy I am more likely
to read about something I haven't "seen".

YMMV,

John H.