Re: Travel Tool Kit

A recommendation, Gabriel?

Don't worry so much about the tool kit for the trip.
Do a whole bunch of what I sometimes call "pre-emptive
maintenance" before you leave.  This means the usual
-- oil change, new spark plugs, new fuel filter(s),
etc.

But also check everything out (or have it checked)
while you're doing the regular stuff.  If it looks
questionable, take care of it.  Case in point: if you
haven't changed your coolant in a while, drain and
refill it with new stuff -- and while you're at it,
check all the hoses to see how they look.  Installing
a new lower hose now, before you leave, is a lot less
fuss and bother than a new one replaced by the side of
the road in South-Central Nowhere.  And it might be a
good idea to replace your alternator/water-pump belt
while you're at it.

Likewise, when you flush your brake fluid, check out
the condition of your pads and rotors while you've got
the wheels off the car.  New pads are about $35 an
axle (I'm pricing brake goodies for the Berlina, so
I've got that info in another window :-).

With things like that out of the way, that tool kit
can be a lot smaller.  What do you KNOW you have to
fiddle with regularly?  I for one will never again
make a road trip in the Spider without a 3mm Allen key
(I *think* that's the size -- I'll check before I pack
it).  That's the size I need to tighten the shift
knob.  The shift knob has come loose twice in the
three years I've owned the Spider, once on a day tour
in 1999, and again on a trip to California last
January.  The vibration at 70 mph was simply
mind-shredding.

Don't overlook spares and supplies.  Got a slow leak
in the cooling system that you haven't yet tracked
down?  Bring a 2L bottle of water.  Use a quart of oil
every 600-800 miles?  How many quarts will you use on
your 5-week journey?  Yes, you CAN buy oil on the
road, but better to buy it now when you can pick up
your usual brand at a good price -- it WILL cost more
at the gas station, and they may not have the
weight/brand you like.  And remember that "a quart of
oil every month and a half" translates to "a quart of
oil every three days" if you're driving 500 miles a
day instead of 1000 miles a month.  Does your Spider
tend to foul spark plugs?  Bring extras.  You know
best what your car tends to need or use.

Other critical road-trip items: paper towels.  A big
bath-sheet sized towel (especially important for a
convertible).  GOOD tape -- fabric gaffer's tape (not
the cheap silver stuff you get at the hardware store;
the best stuff I've used came from Fry's).  A
flashlight, or a couple of flashlights, at least one
of which is small enough that you can hold it in your
mouth while you peer at something and use both hands
to fix the thing you're peering at.  And of course, a
Swiss army knife.

And of course, the two most important road-trip items:
a cell phone and a charge card with a really high
spending limit.  Just in case...

Best,

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon