1st Gear Synchro questions

Hello All,
     I am in the middle of rebuilding a Milano transaxle and I have a
dilemma. The synchronizer for 1st gear is a little different than the other
gears and different from the Alfetta transaxles I have taken apart. On the
Milano 1st gear there is a small spring which I am assuming is used to
cushion the little C-shaped limit strips hidden behind the synchro ring.
     On each gear there is a second gear with fine teeth. I don't know the
technical name so I'll just call them B-gears to differentiate. My dilemma
is that the cast tab that the spring presses against on the 1st gear's
b-gear is broken. I have a spare alfetta transaxle full of mostly good
b-gears, but of course they do not have the notched section needed to
accommodate the spring for 1st gear. So my questions are:

Why does 1st gear need the spring?

Should I alter one of the spare b-gears so I can use it with the spring or
leave it as-is making it identical to the synchros used in the other 4
gears?

And finally, the synchro design for the alfetta's 1st gear has an
interesting little extra wedge shaped piece that exerts additional force on
the inside of the synchro ring. Has anyone ever modified 2nd gear to
accommodate these too? It seems like it would make the synchro more
effective.

-Obie
Tacoma, Wa.
assorted alfas w/ assorted gears meticulously strewn about