82 Spider Speedometer

In a message dated 05/07/2002 12:37:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 20:36:10 EDT
> From: Jmklig@domain.elided
> Subject: 82 Spider Speedometer
>
> The speedometer on my 82 Spider is currently in need of repair.   I've
> always
> wondered how difficult it would be to fit a 140 MPH Speedometer form a
> different year, earlier I think, to replace the original 85 MPH unit that
> came with the car.
>
> Does anybody know what is involved with the change.  The head needs to be
> changed, of course, but what about gearing in the transmission?  Anything
> else?
>
> Thanks!
>
> KLIG
> 1982 Spider

       I posted the following to Alfa Digest last week, but here it is again.

      I replaced the speedometer in my 82 spider with an earlier 140 mph
unit.  It worked fine and was very accurate.  I then had my 85 mph
speedometer rebulit and converted to 140 by Palo Alto Speedometer
http://www.paspeedo.com/.  The cost was over $200 as I recall.  I should have
just painted the chrome trim around the early speedometer black to match the
interior of the 82.
     I also cut out the speedometer box near the steering and replaced the
two speedometer cables with a one piece earlier unit.  All the box does that
I can tell is turn on a warning light when so many miles are traveled.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City