new alternator and yet no power

kyle's confused. i just replaced my water pump and alternator ('87 spider
veloce), and after all the talk about electric fans and their benefits, i
put one on. My battery indicator reads 11-12. what's wrong?  its a 65amp
unit. when the fan is off, and idling, the battery reads 12.75 -- when off
and running the highway, it reads 11.75. when fan on and running it read
10.5-11.  do i need to return this alternator and get an 85amp one? is there
a chance that its just a gremlin somewhere like a bad ground? would this
sound right if the fan wasn't grounded properly? i added a wire from the
engine block to a grounding point and that didn't help.

kyle needs to know what to do! please help!!! i just got it running again
after 6 days broken (working 9a-9:30p job then 10:30p-5a on car every day)
and its still not right....

please reply direct email.... way behind on digests