Hard Starting 1986 Spider

I'm new to the list and no doubt this is old ground but I recently bought a
low mileage  Spider which starts very hard cold and then runs extremely rough
until 2500rpm or so.  It starts more easily when warm but still wants to
stall below 1500 rpm, running very rough until 2500 or better, then gradually
smoothing out (all running done in my garage as the body is being prepped for
paint).  Valves and cam timing are spot on, and I replaced the rotor, cap,
battery, and fuel filter.  The auxilliary air device seems to be working when
tested with heat gun and freezer.  I pulled the connector from the cold start
valve after the engine warmed and got continuity.  I noticed at "F" marked
TDC the centerline of the rotor is clocked slightly CW from the indicator
mark on the distributor housing but the clamp doesn't allow adjustment.
Disconnecting the VVT didn't seem to make any difference.  Thanks in advance
for any advice.

Ed

Ed