Papanoid? Virus?

During the past week or so there have been several postings on the digest
which contained nothing beyond the Subject line: in 8-664, from Gregory
S. Youngblood, in 8-668, from  mygoose, Subject: Welcome to my hometown;
in 8-675, from Peter Herrmann, Subject: Spica tool, wiring diagram; in
8-677, again from Peter Herrmann, Subject: Re: right octane; in 8-678,
from Richard Welty, Subject: Height; in 8-681, from choreboy, Subject:
END OF WEBTRENDS LIVE TAG.

By analogy to stuff which has been hitting my system some, perhaps most
or all of these, appear to my paranoid mind to be possibly the residue of
a new variant of the W32/KLEZ virus/worm. (There is an article about it
in The New York Times business section, Saturday, and undoubtedly others
accessible elsewhere.) Judging from the number of bounced spurious
messages I have been receiving it got a toehold in my system sometime in
the twenty-four hours between my daily virus definition updates from
Norton. Reports say that it is harder than usual to spot, as it draws
subjects both from the files of an invaded computer and from a varied
database of plausible subject-lines. Symantec and McAfee have both
upgraded their warnings about it in recent days.

I am sure that the digest itself is as well protected as anything can be
these days, but not all individuals may be. Those who may not be may want
to check the current state of their virus protection.

Good luck

John H.