115 a-arm bushing query

Hi all,
Just picked my lower a-arms up from the machine shop, new bushings in place
and ready to go back on the GTV.

So, what's up with those little foam rings that fit on the bushing on the
inner side of the a-arm?  Are they really necessary?  They look like they are
designed to soak up water and hold it on the bushing, ensuring that lots and
lots of rust forms.

Am I supposed to impregnate them with grease?  Something else?  Should I throw
them away?  Bueller?  Anyone?

Thanks,

Tony
Portland, OR