RE: grooved disks increasing brake disc area....

Brian

I am still trying to figure this one out. Grooved or slotted, either way,
how have you increased the surface area? In addition, if you still have the
same size pads, how have you made any difference to the area being clamped?

I think that grooved and slotted mean the same thing. It means cutting
grooves in the disk which are supposed to facilitated the removal of gases
from between the disk and pad(s) plus de-glaze the pads. Still, you have
removed metal from the disk so you have reduced the surface area of the
disk. You may have increased the chances of the pad(s) being partially or
wholly in contact with the disk (by evacuating gases which otherwise prevent
some or all of the pad maintaining contact with the disk) and you should be
assisting the reduction of temperatures but you haven't increased the
surface area of the disk and you may, in fact, be reducing critical
temperatures below the optimum operating levels.

Ventiliated disks are yet another area for discussion.

Remember SLOTTED mags? They're GROOVY! I could talk about them but some wise
guy might want me VENTILATED.....

nk