RE: Steering box

>The steering wheel of my 83 Spider has slowly
>developed a rather significant "dead zone" even when
>the wheels are pointed straight ahead.  The steering
>wheel can move along an arc of maybe 3-4 degrees (with
>absolutely no resistance) before it has any effect on
>the wheels.  Apparently the ZF steering boxes are
>adjustable to take care of such issues through a set
>screw on the top of the box but I couldn't find any
>information on what the proper adjustment procedure
>is.  Anyone care to share some info on it?

Before you adjust the box, make sure that the big nut that holds the
steering arm on the output shaft of the box is tight - it's common for this
to come loose, eventually wearing the splines if left too long.

Reach under the car, rest a finger on the nut and arm while someone moves
the wheel - any movement will be obvious.

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce
1989 Fiat Uno Turbo