RE: More on bead blasting

> >Now it could be that the person who did the bead blasting blasted things
he
> >shouldn't have, but I got the impression that it was the nature of the
> >aluminum that was the issue.
>
> Oh, my god!
>
> Holy cow, you're not supposed to bead blast _the _cam_bearings_!!!! The
> thought never occured to me that someone would do that! People sure are
> full of surprises.... What you bead blast on a head are the carbon
deposits
> from the combustion chambers, maybe the aluminum oxides from the water
> passages....

Again, I don't know that whomever bead blasted this head did or didn't blast
something they shouldn't have.  I don't think that they blasted the cam
bearings, but I could be wrong.

The problem as I understand it, is with the media embedding itself in the
aluminum surface somewhere (presumably harmless), and then coming loose and
causing trouble at a later time.

Personally, I've never blasted any part of a motor.  Solvent and brushes,
sometimes let things sit in a parts cleaner for days with solvent running
through passages.

bs