RE: More on bead blasting

>Now it could be that the person who did the bead blasting blasted things
he
>shouldn't have, but I got the impression that it was the nature of the
>aluminum that was the issue.

Oh, my god!

Holy cow, you're not supposed to bead blast _the _cam_bearings_!!!! The
thought never occured to me that someone would do that! People sure are
full of surprises.... What you bead blast on a head are the carbon deposits
from the combustion chambers, maybe the aluminum oxides from the water
passages....

Also, with aluminum, you generally want to use fresh, clean beads at low
pressure and you don't want to dwell too long in one spot. Imagine taking a
ball peen hammer and lightly tapping the surface of an aluminum plate. Not
bad, maybe even a little helpful. Now take the same hammer and really wail
on the thing. Next, try breaking a chunk off the face of the hammer so it's
got a sharp edge and wailing on the plate with that. Next, use a hammer
with rust or old paint, or whatever on the face. That's kind of analogous
to using too high a pressure, or broken down beads, or beads that are full
of rust or dirt or whatever.

The world's greatest tools, materials, and techniques won't do good if not
applied properly. A torque wrench is a great tool, but may be worse than
useless if set to the wrong number. Engine oil is great stuff, too, but
don't fill your tires with it. Color sanding your windshield probably isn't
going to work....

What will people think of next?!