re: Suspension "upgrades"

From: Simon Body

<<Gentlemen and Ladies

I have a 1991 Alfa Spider that is in good condition that I want to get
better overall handling from, for street use only. In my research I have

found recommendations for the following modifications to the Spider that
I am considering. I would be grateful for your recommendations on what
upgrades you think I should do and in what order. I guess that latter
request depends on the amount of cash available and my expertise/time,
but
I want to keep harmony in the Body house so cheap and easy would come
first.

Springs
Koni Red or Bilstein shocks
Chassis stiffener
Anti-sway bars
Adjustable top arms

Also are there any "easy" performance upgrades for the series 4 Spider
you would recommend.>>

There are a couple of things I would recommend that are not on your
list.  The first is to tune up that "loose nut behind the wheel".  Get
thee to a drivers' school.  As an example, we in Southern California
offer a 2-day school (from street to race) for less than $200 for the
weekend.  You supply the car, so you get to learn what it feels like as
you are learning to drive it.  Invaluable, and you can most of what you
learn into whatever car/truck/vanbus that you drive.

The other thing, if you *must*do a hardware change, is tires.  This is
your ultimate contact between car and road.  Without getting seriously
over-sized, you can likely get tires at a reasonable price that are
better than the Spider chassis.  This is the first thing I recommend to
friends, etc. who want a performance upgrade.  The major downside to
sticky tires is that they wear out faster than the ones which ride
nicely and are built for quiet before corning forces.

This little bit of free advice is, as always, worth exactly what you
paid for it.
Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal
76 Alfetta GT - with:  GTV6 T-bars and springs, Koni shocks, 205/55 x 15
Dunlop W-10 tires on Ronal A-1 wheels, custom exhaust from motor to
tailpipe, Euro stainless bumpers (shining tissue paper - they weigh *so*
little) - I don't listen to my own advice, it seems. . . . But, I have
been to school!