re: Anti Freeze

From: Jon Durham

<<This thread has probably occurred but I still would like some input as
to whether antifreeze has to be replaced every two yours and the engine
flushed.

What happens to the antifreeze to warrant it's replacement?

I understand one can put an additive in the antifreeze to renew its
zest.>>

Well, Jon,

If this hasnt been jumped on already.....

Anti-freeze does more than protect against water freezing inside the
motor, and expanding while it does, with disastrous results.  Bigger
thing for many of us, especially where we don't get a lot of freezing
weather, is that it acts an anti-boil, improving efficiency of the
cooling system.  Equally as important is the anti-corrosion properties
of the additives to many of the popular brands.  THESE are what break
down, wear out, go bye-bye, or whatever phrase you would like to
insert.  Considering that after two years, you just may want to flush
out the old gunky stuff, with all the crud that it has picked up in that
time, and that coolant isn't *that* expensive, it may be better idea to
just replace the anti-freeze every other year, rather than worry about
what you left in the motor, with can/bottle of renewzit.

Some will say that you mix the coolant about 50:50 with distilled or
de-ionized water (the same stuff, really) and others (like myself) say
it doesn't make *that* uch difference, one way or the other.  It's more
important just to change it every other year.

My two cents worth on that subject.  Worth every penny, too.

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal
76 Alfetta GT - Thanks for reminding me. It's also due for new coolant!