SPICA Pump Filter Change

An appeal to the collective wisdom on how to change the SPICA pump filter on
my '77 Alfetta GT.

I've read the factory owner's manual and it says to clean the area; remove
the cover; remove the spring and filter; clean the internal area; replace the
filter and spring and reinstall the cover (renewing the cover gasket as
necessary). I can't find my SPICA notes (darn geologic filing system of
mine), so I don't know if the procedure is detailed there.

I am ready to do all that 'remove & replace' stuff but I think there's
something about 'bleeding' the oil system to ensure there's oil in the pump
before starting the engine, isn't there?

I'm not certain I can bleed the system because the head is off right now and
timing is a big thing (as well as keeping the liners seated). If I can't turn
the engine, how can I ensure there's oil in the SPICA pump before I close it
up? Do I need to?

Can someone help me remember if I'm missing something important?

Replies off digest preferred, I'm really behind in my AD reading, too.

TIA and Happy Easter to those who celebrate it.

Tom
Seattle
10123
11615