More on bead blasting

>I have been advised by several serious Alfa engine builders
>through the years to NEVER bead blast anything inside the engine.
>I know, some one will now undoubtedly say  "I 've been doing this for the
>last 100 years with no problems ". So be it.  FYI.

You'll admit this advice, however well intentioned, is heresay.

Some things are OK to bead blast or even desirable. Others, such as
mentioned in prior post, not. Cylinder heads, f'rinstance, are routinely
bead blasted. Regardless, parts must be clean.  While it's not necessarily
a bad idea to bead blast water passages (i.e., which is more abrassive,
glass beads or aluminum oxide?) it would generally be a bad idea to bead
blast an oil passage, at least if it were difficult to clean and inspect.
Likewise ring lands and the other things mentioned, since the surface
finish, etc. effects function, should be left alone. You were probably
advised not bead blast for fear you'd bead blast the wrong things, with the
wrong blast media, with dirty blast media, wouldn't clean the parts
properly after blasting, etc.