Motronic pistons

Both CJ and Modelle in Somers Point have an (errr) point regarding the
cleanliness of assembled pistons in liners.

The entire engine was balanced on this car, so am trying to think if
they weren't in fact removed, balanced, and the machinist re-installed
for me.

I have to wonder what the cost saving would be for the piston
manufacturer to simply stick the rings on any old which way in a not
particularly clean liner, just to save shipping space? I'd assume they'd
be aware of a 'debris' problem sooner than later and would simply put
wax paper around the pistons and rings and ship separatelyor else assemble
reasonably correctly in the first place. Perhaps I'm asking for too
much, but would be
inclined to think the pistons / liners were shipped to the Alfa factory
assembled. Did / does the factory remove each and every piston, clean,
and carefully re-assemble (with Hastings rings), before installing in
the (then) brand new 2L engines?

I'd guess not.

Also a good point about new oil pump cleanliness. Last new one I
installed should have been sent back since the gears were binding
somewhat. Had the machinist hand lap them in and pump was fine. But in
the future, I'll disassemble the new pumps and have a good look.

While I do try for extreme cleanliness when rebuilding an engine, I'm
emphatic about the 500 mile oil change.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA