Aussie Fools (a bit long)

Brett Daniels asked about LRP fuels in Australia.

As you are aware Brett, leaded fuels are hard to come by here
downunder.  As 105 Alfa heads have hardened valve inserts already, your
best choice is one of the high octane unleaded varieties of fuel.  A
word of warning though, Shell Optimax has been rumoured to soften and
swell rubber seals, o-rings etc.  I am led to believe that it is the
additive in the PULP that causes/d the problems.  This is of particular
interest to those of us that run carburetted Alfa engines, as the carb
mounts can be affected.  As the other fuels are very similar, and the
extra octane/density of Optimax is it's selling point, and that it costs
more anyway, try for Mobil Synergy 8000, BP Ultimate, Caltex Vortex etc.

On LRP fuels, some can cause real problems.  The additive in some is a
Manganese compound, the Manganese turns into it's oxide in the
combustion process, and unless it's blown out (read Italian tune up,
OFTEN) can harden to an abrasive compound, not what you want in the
inside of your engine.  This I have seen for real.  I used LRP from one
outlet for 3 months in my Alfetta GTV.  When I pulled the plugs to clean
them I was astounded as to the amount of crap that had built up on
them.  I had never had this problem running with either leaded or
unleaded fuels before.  I immediately ceased use of the LRP and switched
to PULP.  For several weeks, every time I started the car and let it
warm up in the driveway there would be a dark red patch on the driveway,
Manganese oxide!!  The car was my daily driver, I do about 100kms a day,
with a healthy dose of freeway at 100 ish km/h, so the problem is with
the fuel, not the manner in which it was driven.

My trusty mechanic has also seen such cases, and agrees with me that the
LRP fuels can cause problems.

PULP fuels can be used in unmodified Alfa motors, as valve seat
recession should not be a problem with the hardened valve inserts, so no
additives are needed, anyway, some of them probably just contain the
Manganese compounds that are in the LRP in concentrated form.

Hope this helps
Stuart Thomson