Re: Australian fuel choices

Brett Daniels asks:

>As my 1971 1750 GTV is due to be united its engine this weekend, for
>the first time in over ten years, I am curious as to what fuels
>Australian digesters are using in their cars of similar vintage. For
>those unaware there are no leaded fuels available in Australia
>anymore. I have heard from other drivers that the lead replacement
>fuel has reduced the performance of older holdens and similar cars so
>that some use a premium unleaded with a lead replacement additive.
>Anyone else use a similar combination and if so what additives do you
>prefer.

None. Just use a premium unleaded, and forget about it.

I'm not sure exactly what petrol you get in Aus, but over the "creek" in NZ
we went lead free 6 years ago. At the time I did a lot of asking around,and
digging up part numbers and came to the conclusion that as far as I could
tell the valves and valve seats (at least in the 2L motors) were the same as
what the US had when they went more-or-less lead free in the early 1970s.
And Alfa claimed that those motors were okay on unleaded.

Mine has run on 96 RON unleaded for the last 6 years and 30 000 miles, no
changes to valve clearances in that time, I've had the head apart when I did
a headgasket and replaced valve seals, no visible problems.

Only fuel related problem I had was with some early batches of fuel that
were high in aromatics - which caused a previous owner's fibreglass fuel
tank patch to soften and leak. Cleaned, brazed, and internally coated the
tank (POR product), been fine since. I also replaced the flexible fuel lines
as a precaution.

NZ had some issues regarding octane levels in the change to unleaded, (96
RON unleaded typically has a lower MON than 96 leaded) that caused problems
with some cars, but it didn't cause any pinking with my engine.

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce
1989 Fiat Uno Turbo