Spirax HD switch and Redline MTL results...

Stay tuned!

Shell Spirax 80W90 HD results to follow in a few hundred
miles!  In the meantime...

Hate to say this but...

The Redline MTL seems to be leaking a good amount from
what used to be, a relatively leak-free transmission!
It's been about 3-400 miles since the unrecognizable
goop the P.O. had run in the 1/4-full gearbox and
differential, had been replaced with Redline MTL and
75W90.

The shifting performance HAS improved slightly (when
cold!) but small puddles of the red stuff are showing up
under the car after being parked overnight in the garage.

The Redline MTL is classified as a 70W80 GL-4 gear lube
while the Shell Spirax HD is 80W90 as specified by Alfa
Romeo.

Redline MT-90, a 75W90 GL-4 or Redline tech-rep
suggested 75W90NS, probably would have been a better
alternative, though I think it's the cold
characteristics of the synthetic NOT the viscosity range
that's the problem.  This exaggerated by a high-mileage,
leak-prone design.

Either way, I believe it's the consistent LOW viscosity
of ANY synthetic that allows seepage past older seals
after the car sits overnight.

Does not seem to leak like this when warm probably due
to slightly tighter mechanical tolerances due to thermo-
expansion.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

I also replaced the differential oil with Redline 75W90
and am also seeing an occasional drop or two.  Replaced
the crush washer on each drain plug and the Redline
actually seems to creep past the plugs!

I'll try the Spirax!  The clinical trial continues...

PS  I will say that the Redline DID improve shifting
performance SLIGHTLY, especially when cold.  This on a
130K mile, '78 Spider transmission with good synchros.
It's just that it's leaving a small mess on my garage
floor (slippery stuff!)...

Worked GREAT on my BMW...Heh, heh!