piston rings

       I always replace the rings that come on the Borgo piston and liner
sets.  I do not like the cast iron oil ring.  I prefer the three piece Deves
or Hastings style oil ring.
       I also like the Total Seal rings.  They have a two piece overlapping
second compression ring.  Thus there is no ring gap and less blow by.
However, they cost a bit over $100 the last time I bought some.
       The rings are just standard Alfa size.  I think there are some
different ring lans sizes out there, but they are not common.  If in
question, measure the width of the rings.  They are all 84 mm bore, obviously.
       If you buy Total Seal rings, you will have to measure the rings or the
lans.  I think you have the option of a total seal top ring or a total seal
second ring, but I have slept since I installed them.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City