Re:piston rings

Russ Neely wrote:
>I also like the Total Seal rings.  They have a two piece overlapping
>second compression ring.  Thus there is no ring gap and less blow by.

I talked to Dema Elgin about this in November.  Yes they do all that, but
a ring requires a pressure differential across it to seal.  With Total
Seal second ring the pressure differential across the first ring is
reduced, thus reducing its ability to seal.  No real data to support a
problem with mild (BMEP below 190 psi) engines, but real data to support
top ring failure with hot engines.

Chris Hall