Berlina door mechanism questions

Greetings Alfisti !
     I wanted to see if anybody had any answers for a problem I'm having on
Bernie, my 73 2000 Berlina.
     Basically, when you try to shut the driver's door the latch won't
catch.The door will only stay shut if  you roll the window down, hold the
door in the closed position and then lock the door from the inside.
Odd......... The door will lock from the outside  with the key but if you
just slam the door shut it wont latch (instead it swings back at you and the
car grins at you in an evil manner  :)  .
     I took the door skin off and tried to see what is wrong; there is
nothing obviously wrong with the mechanism; but  I'm thinking that there's
supposed to be a spring somewhere on the mechanism that isn't there. Am I
correct? (I left the car overnight at my office and it looks like the car was
"slim jim'ed. Fresh scratches on the mechanism and the inside of the upper
door in the lock area.)
Thanks,
Terry Akins
Alexandria, VA