in re nasty handling cars (in the rain) [little A.C.]

Paul Cuadra was commenting on a P*** 911 spinning out on the freeway.
In asking for reasons as to why,  I think I would go to the answer, "All
of the above."  Wide tires certainly do NOTHING  to enhance foul weather
handling, all other factors being equal.  IF the springs were *up-rated*
to improve handling, they may have done that in the dry, but not so much
in the wet.  Stiffly sprung cars can get twitchy, under the best of
circumstances.  Tail-heavy cars get tail-happy under less than ideal
road condtions.    In your 164, you may not have felt minor
irregularities in the road surface.  911 driver may have been VERY aware
of minor irregularities.

Let me recount a circumstance.  Many moons ago, in my pre-Alfa days, I
was driving home in pouring rain, here in Southern California.  (It does
happen every so often, really)  I was driving my VW Rabbit GTI, on
fairly new (stock size) Michelin MXV tires.  Felt like I was on ice.
The car wanted to hydroplane with little provocation.  Just the odd
puddle on the freeway, and me going 50 - 55 mph.  Quite an E-ticket
ride.  I saw someone else crash, and continued on at a reduced speed.
That, in a car that had stock size tires, stock springs, and maybe the
Konis at that point.  Now think of the Porsche.  Modified does not equal
better, under any/all conditions.

For now

Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California
76 Alfetta GT - (also does not see much rain, as it ain't quite
water-tight yet.  That, and not having a working heater, etc)