GTV6 torsion bars

In a message dated 03/10/2002 7:56:01 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 23:45:03
> From: "Allen Mitchell" <allenom@domain.elided>
> Subject: GTV6 torsion bars
>
> Hello,
> Has anyone else encountered, shall we say, "resistance" when extracting the
> torsion bars from a GTV6/Milano?  Yes, the suspension was completely
> unloaded, in fact the lower A arm was removed completely.  The rear splines
> on both torsion bars had rusted up so solidly that we had to "gently coax"
> the bar rearward by "tapping lightly" on the front end.  I made my own
> "factory tool" but it simply would not budge.  I cannot imagine that the
> real factory tool would have been able to break these things loose, as it
> took considerable "coaxing" to get it out.  Anyone else care to either:
> a)tell me what a clod I am, or b) recount their own tale of torsion-bar woe?
> Thanks,
> Al

       I have never owned a GTV-6.  However, on the Alfetta, I used a 10 mm
(I think) bolt that screwed into the rear of the torsion bar. With a big
socket and a stack of washers, I was able to pull them from the rear.
However, the threads took a lot of stress and that may not be the best way.
       On one really rusted Alfetta, I unbolted the whole bar that the rear
of the torsion bars fit into.  I hooked a come along around the rear axle and
pulled the thing apart.
       I assume the GTV-6 is similar to the Alfetta.
       Make sure you mark the alignment of the bar before you pull them
apart.  They have a different number of splines on the rear from the front.
Rotating them is how you adjust ride height.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City