smells bad

In a message dated 03/10/2002 7:56:01 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:16:12 EST
> From: RMMLA@domain.elided
> Subject: smells bad
>
> I smell gas in my 87 Spider. I have replaced the fuel lines (steel) under
> the
> car and the rubber lines going to and from the fuel distributer. I cannot
> see
> any leaks. Yet I get a strong gasoline smell in the cabin (with the top
> up!)
> and I can smell gas when I lean over the starboard side of the engine where
> all the fuel lines are. Anyone have any thoughts / experience with this one?
> Mike Morgan
> 87 Spider Veloce

       The most common cause of gas smell inside the car is a loose gas cap.
However, if you smell gas under the hood, that is probably not it.
       I had an 87 spider spring a leak in one of the short hoses between the
fuel rail and the injector.  You can buy some 5/16 fuel line hose and replace
these.  The fittings have barbs that hold the hoses and you just cut them off
and fit new ones.  It is not hard.  I have even replaced them with no hose
clamps, but error on the side of caution on that.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City