GTV6 torsion bars

Hello,
Has anyone else encountered, shall we say, "resistance" when extracting the
torsion bars from a GTV6/Milano?  Yes, the suspension was completely
unloaded, in fact the lower A arm was removed completely.  The rear splines
on both torsion bars had rusted up so solidly that we had to "gently coax"
the bar rearward by "tapping lightly" on the front end.  I made my own
"factory tool" but it simply would not budge.  I cannot imagine that the
real factory tool would have been able to break these things loose, as it
took considerable "coaxing" to get it out.  Anyone else care to either:
a)tell me what a clod I am, or b) recount their own tale of torsion-bar woe?
Thanks,
Al