2000 GTV questions

I've been trying to make some progress this weekend getting the GTV back
together, and came up with a couple of questions for the group:

1) I tried to replace the speedometer cable, but its routed under a heat
shield that can only be removed by loosening the exhaust system enough to move
the muffler an inch or two to the side.  Is this the normal routing?  I can
see the logic of protecting the cable from exhaust system heat, but it makes
replacement a much larger job than I expected.

2) What's the original finish for lug nuts on turbina rims?  I thought they
were some sort of gray coated finish, but I put one on the buffer to clean it
up and it came out looking like it was chromed.

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
Ann Arbor, MI
1974 2000 GTV