Re: Alfa SUV

Zak,

> > Why is it that you think that Alfa, who still
> produce
> > some wonderful SPORTING vehicles, won't be able to
> > bring to the market a SPORTS Utility Vehicle that
> will
> > hold some magic for us?
>
> At the risk of re-igniting the SUV-haters' thread,
> "Sports" is most
> definitely a misnomer.

For the vast majority of what's currently available,
you're absolutely correct.

But Alfa has already done this, in the early - mid
80's, with the 33 Quattro.

What if an engineer created a design for a very high
performance AWD wagon? Jeffery Weiss drew my attention
to the Audi Allroad Quattro, and this is exactly the
sortof thing that I have in mind, and it's exactly the
sort of thing that Alfa can do exceptionally well.

> to cover the wrongs - try also the sheer fugliness
> of them, their
> massive bulk, their most un-sporting on-road

Again, just because most manufacturers do it that way,
doesn't mean that it always has to be done that way.

Think outside the box. Literally!

> > Their current range represents very good driving,
> and,
> > if the engineers, rather than the accountants, are
> > given their heads, I don't think there will be a
> > problem.
>
> Their current range is OK, but only just. With an

How many of the current range have you driven?

> For me, Alfa has always
> represented something different, a move away from
> the norm.

And for me too. I'm proud to have a fleet of Alfas,
and enjoy driving all of them. They are absolutely an
expression to the world of my individuality.

I can't speak on your local market, but of all of the
new cars on the road in Oz these days, there are but a
few that can do that.

> By following
> the herd and plodding off to produce an SUV they
> show that they are
> losing their edge, putting passion last.

If they FOLLOW the herd, yes. But that is but one
view.

I happen to believe that they can look at what the
herd are doing and come back with a totally different
view of what the vehicle should be.

=====
g.
Gary Stark