Re: Alfa SUV

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:33:34 -0800 (PST)
Gary Stark <redbakstark@domain.elided> wrote:

Gary,

> Why is it that you think that Alfa, who still produce
> some wonderful SPORTING vehicles, won't be able to
> bring to the market a SPORTS Utility Vehicle that will
> hold some magic for us?

At the risk of re-igniting the SUV-haters' thread, "Sports" is most
definitely a misnomer. Those mechanical aberrations should be called
POSVs, not SUVs. A genuine off-roader is OK, but the RAV4s, X5s, M-Class
Mercs and all the other yuppie view-blocking motorised monstrosities
should be taken to the crusher forthwith. Inefficient doesn't even begin
to cover the wrongs - try also the sheer fugliness of them, their
massive bulk, their most un-sporting on-road behaviour, and their
almost-useless off-road ability. All they really are are poseurs' toys -
status-mobiles, moving showcases to lack of independent thought. But, I
wasn't going to re-ignite that thread... ;-)

> Their current range represents very good driving, and,
> if the engineers, rather than the accountants, are
> given their heads, I don't think there will be a
> problem.

Their current range is OK, but only just. With an SUV added to the
lineup it will be positively moribund. For me, Alfa has always
represented something different, a move away from the norm. By following
the herd and plodding off to produce an SUV they show that they are
losing their edge, putting passion last.

Ciao

Zak
--
Zak McGregor        http://www.carfolio.com - Over 8150 car specs online