Re: Alfa SUV

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:22:55 -0800 (PST)
Gary Stark <redbakstark@domain.elided> wrote:

Gary,

> For the vast majority of what's currently available,
> you're absolutely correct.
>
> But Alfa has already done this, in the early - mid
> 80's, with the 33 Quattro.

OK, I have to admit that I do not hold all-wheel drive estates in the
same contempt as SUVs. SUV is more than just an estate version of a
saloon car. The Allroad quattro and Volvo Cross Country would be
examples of this class of vehicle. They to me are less useless than the
higher up, more pretentious, heavier, less stable wannabe off-roader
class... ;-)
> What if an engineer created a design for a very high
> performance AWD wagon? Jeffery Weiss drew my attention
> to the Audi Allroad Quattro, and this is exactly the
> sortof thing that I have in mind, and it's exactly the
> sort of thing that Alfa can do exceptionally well.

Sure. I wouldn't call it an SUV though - I think Alfa is spot-on eith
their SportWagon nomenclature. I see absolutely no reason why an estate
body would necessarily negate the "sport" aspect of the vehicle. Take
for instance the Aston Virage Sporting Brake, or the Audi Avantissimo
concept - far more practical and better suited to onroad use with the
added safety/handling of all-wheel drive. There are a number of Japanese
cars with similar chracteristics as well - the Impreza wagon and Toyota
Caldina (yep, they really call it that ;-) to name but 2.
> > to cover the wrongs - try also the sheer fugliness
> > of them, their
> > massive bulk, their most un-sporting on-road
>
> Again, just because most manufacturers do it that way,
> doesn't mean that it always has to be done that way.
>
> Think outside the box. Literally!

I think you're talking about boxes whilst I thought you were talking
crates!
> > > Their current range represents very good driving,
> > and,
> > > if the engineers, rather than the accountants, are
> > > given their heads, I don't think there will be a
> > > problem.
> >
> > Their current range is OK, but only just. With an
>
> How many of the current range have you driven?

Zip. I've been in both the 147 and 156 though. To call up another hoary
old chestnut - the "real" Alfas are RWD ;-) (ducking)
> > For me, Alfa has always
> > represented something different, a move away from
> > the norm.
>
> And for me too. I'm proud to have a fleet of Alfas,
> and enjoy driving all of them. They are absolutely an
> expression to the world of my individuality.
>
> I can't speak on your local market, but of all of the
> new cars on the road in Oz these days, there are but a
> few that can do that.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have an '82 GTV6, which is the perfect Alfa
model for me (well, the perfect affordable Alfa model for me), and I too
am proud of it.
> > By following
> > the herd and plodding off to produce an SUV they
> > show that they are
> > losing their edge, putting passion last.
>
> If they FOLLOW the herd, yes. But that is but one
> view.
>
> I happen to believe that they can look at what the
> herd are doing and come back with a totally different
> view of what the vehicle should be.

... great - I'd be all for it in that case. But the thought of Alfa
doing a Cayenne just sent me into frothing convulsions! ;-)

Ciao

Zak

--
Zak McGregor        http://www.carfolio.com - Over 8150 car specs online