RE: transmission r & r

>        But my next question is why?  It appears that getting the engine
put
> back in place and aligned with the transmission would be quite difficult.
> few negative clearances do not matter much when pulling things apart as
when
> trying to put them back together.

Because it takes a lot less time.

If I have to yank the tranny, that's a couple of hours right there.  Add
another couple hours for the motor, and you've eaten half a day right there.

I'm not fast, and I can pull a Spica motor in a couple of hours if I put my
mind to it.  Three hours if I take my time.

Putting things back together you have the same issues - if you've pulled the
tranny you're looking at a lot more time - you have to align the shifter,
reassemble the center console, etc.

I've done the motor all by itself, and the motor/tranny together.  If I had
to do engine and tranny work, no question I'd yank them together.  But if
I'm only mucking around with the motor, then it's much faster to leave the
tranny in place and not touch the inside of the car.

Ymmv,

bs