Re: transmission r & r

       Too many people have said they have removed the Alfa engine leaving
the transmission in place for me to argue with experience.  I got under the
74 GTV in the garage and there does appear to be enough room to pull the
engine forward off the transmission.  You could hang the front of the
transmission from bailing wire or some such and leave it in there.
       So I admit I was wrong.  I apologize if I mis led anyone.  Never say
never.

       But my next question is why?  It appears that getting the engine put
back in place and aligned with the transmission would be quite difficult.  A
few negative clearances do not matter much when pulling things apart as when
trying to put them back together.
       Of course, the original question dealt with the need for a
transmission rebuild and I guess Braden in the Alfa Bible was suggesting
removal of engine and transmission as a unit.  He and many other seem to feel
that putting the two back together is so much simpler with both out to
justify the effort.  I find with the engine tilted, stabbing the transmission
back into place is quite easy - most of the time.  If the clutch is not
positioned correctly nothing is going to work.
       I will continue to pull the transmission first and the engine second.
I have pulled them as a unit, but that is not my preferred method.  I think
you do too much damage to the sheet metal and other parts under the hood when
you try to jockey everything around while still connected together.

       For those counting disassembly time, I have been messing with Bosch
injected Alfas almost exclusively for the last ten years or so.  I can say
that it will take more than two hours just to unplug all the electrical
connectors.  It also helps to have two of the same model when it comes to
putting them back together.  Nothing like having a running sample to check
where various wires go.
       I guess it is time to get back to something simple like the 74 GTV
that I would really like to drive to Southern California in July.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City