Autopower rollbars in a Spider

In a message dated 02/28/2002 10:08:40 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:55:40 -0500
> From: "Tim Lentz" <timlentz@domain.elided>
> Subject: Autopower rollbars in a Spider
>
> Hi Gang,
>
> Does anyone know if the Autopower *street* and *race* rollbars mount to the
> exact same place on a rear shelf of the Spider (1971-1981)? Said another
> way,
> can one set of holes, drilled into the shelf, work for both bars?
>
> Just how much higher is the *race* bar?
>
> Also, if the *race* bar is unbolted and slid forward (down off the shelf),
> will the top then be able to clear the bar? (i.e. for driving to and from an
> event)
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Lentz

       I have never messed with a "street" bar so I have nothing I can
measure for comparison purposes.  Street bars are quite worthless, in my not
at all humble opinion.
       There was a spider at the Copper Mountain Colorado convention that
hauled the roll bar on a bike rack mounted to the rear bumper.  I saw them
leaving the convention and thought that was a good way to go.
       Or build a trailer to haul race tires, roll bar and maybe even some
camping gear.  The trailer I built has a DeDion axle and tracks nicely up to
at least 100 mph.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City