Is it a car or not?

In a message dated 02/22/2002 5:00:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Sure I'd like an SUV to pull my Alfa 75 to the track, but right now,
> none of them seem to appeal to me. I think for monsters like the
> Lincoln Navigator, they should make you have a truck/lorry license to
> drive one, limit the speed on them too.

This seems reasonable to me; after all, isn't/wasn't part of the appeal to
the manufacturers that these vehicles were deemed trucks and therefore exempt
from some of the safety and environmental standards that applied to cars?  In
many places you have to have a special motorcycle license, and a license for
commercial trucks (above a certain weight in some places I recall)... but if
you rent a small truck or van you need only a regular auto operating license.
 There are some places where there are two posted speeds, one for cars and
one for trucks or cars with trailers.

Love 'em or hate 'em, one thing you gotta give 'em: in the US, they are
incredibly popular so this is a big issue because there are so many of them
on the roads!

Alfa content: when an SUV is parked at a corner near my house and I come up
to the intersection (in either the Spider or the GTV6), I can't see around
the thing to tell if any traffic is bearing down on me.  To me, something big
enough to block the view of a 4 lane road is a truck (or perhaps a house)
because a car in the same position doesn't block the view as completely.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA