Advice Needed from V6 Owners With Magnacor Wires

Is there some special trick to fitting Magnacor plug wires on a V6 Alfa?  I
bought a set for my Verde a while back and I'm having difficulty getting the
plug ends to snap onto the plug contacts.  I did a side-by-side comparison
using a pair of old plugs and the OEM wire set.  When I compare the distance
from the plug threads to the rubber lip on the wire (the bit that is
supposed to set on the valve cover and seal the plug well), it seems that
the Magnacor wires are approximately one inch too short - yup, all six of
them.  I tried gently pushing the wire through the rubber boot with no
success, and I'm told the wires are fixed to the boot so this would not
help.

I'm using the proper Lodge HL plugs, and my car is a 1987 Verde if it
matters (is there a difference in depth of the plug wells on the 3.0L heads
from the 2.5L?).  The wires are the KV85 type, which came in a beautiful
red.  They look very nice and I would really like to be able to fit them.
Not to mention that one of my stock plug wires is broken and my coil wire is
disintegrating rapidly and keeps falling out of the coil...

Any advice and experience with these wires would be welcomed!  Many thanks,

Dave J.
Island Lake, IL
1987 Milano Verde
1964 2600 Sprint (needs new wires too, as it happens)