tire width

Hello everyone!

    I am the proud new owner of a '73 Alfa GTV2000 and was wanting to replace
the wheels and tires.  I was wondering how the width of the wheels and thus
the tires effects the handling of the car.  The recent Turbina discussion was
helpful in terms of what wheels are out there and the pros and cons of each,
but width wasn't mentioned.  Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
        Michael