re: Tire size comparisons

Alex Csank wrote:
>So, whatever way you cut it...the calculators are right...and Paul Mitchell
>was wrong.  The 185/70-14 sizing pretty closely proximates the original
>165-14 size (certainly more than we were led to believe) as found on many of
>the 105 series cars with the ATE brakes (1969 - 74 approximately).

Right.  For this reason,  185/70-14 was the (then) modern-size replacement
tire for the original 165-14 during the years when 70-series tires were
popular.  At some point, probably in the '80s, Alfa also began to install
185/70-14 tires on new Spiders.  Unfortunately, 70-series tires are getting
harder to find.  A reasonable substitute in a somewhat more modern size is
195/65-14.

Dana Loomis