re: SUV Haters Unite

At 9:28 AM -0500 2/23/02, alfa-digest wrote:
>       As an old Hot Rodder, I was lead to believe a UTE was an Australian
>pickup on a car chassis.  That would be the equivalent of a Ford Ranchero or
>Chevy El Camino, only the Aussies were building them way back in the 30's and
>probably before.

And the Aussies are still building them today, so their pickups
handle like cars, crash like cars, etc, etc.  They're not even jacked
up cars, like some more modern SUVs.  Too bad American manufacturers
rely on building arhaic garbage and selling it at modern-car prices
just to stay profitable.  Sure, SUV-type trucks are the real problem,
but at least where I come from, the drunk idiots in their pickup
trucks are as big a threat as the on-the-phone idiots in their SUVs.