Re: SUV Haters Unite

I hate to make an ass of myself, but the fact is that I feel the same
way as Doug.  Now I realize that there are people in the world (like
Ted and Russ, perhaps) who have one form of roadgoing truck or
another for legitimate purposes--towing hauling, offroading, etc.
However, I have no tolerance for people who buy SUVs to commute on
the freeway and never have any passengers or cargo in the car, and
put people at risk of running into a multi-ton body-on-frame truck
with no crumple zones and bumpers at eye level.  In many cases I
think these people buy these machines because they think they're
safe.  Whether or not they're better off than if they were in the
average passenger car is highly dependent on the nature of the
accident they have, but they're certainly no safer than if they just
bought a Volvo wagon.  And in the meantime they put other drivers at
incredible risk, because their only means of absorbing impact energy
in a collision is to crush the occupants of the vehicle that they run
into.  So when a Firstone tire fails on an Explorer and a family of
unbelted idiots gets smeered across the freeway, I don't feel the
least bit sorry.  If they expected not to die on the freeway they
should have worn their seatbelts and not been driving a truck.
Additionally, they were driving a vehicle that kills people as its
means of protecting them in a multi-vehicle collision.  So either
they die from their own stupidity (and a flawed tire) or their
stupidity kills someone else in a multivehicle collision later.  So
I'd rather see them die.  The same goes for a flaming Blazer by the
side of the road.  Certainly, their misfortune probably had nothing
to do with the type of vehicle, but it's one less SUV on the road,
and there is certainly some humor in the fact that, like my
hypothetical Explorer owner in the previous example, they probably
bought the thing to be "safe" at the expense of other people's lives.
So yes, I'll laugh with Doug, even though our GTV6's are
statistically a lot more likely to burst into flames.  And if SUVs
are more likely to get targeted by carjackers in London, well maybe
that will discourage people from driving SUVs in London, which is
perhaps the environment least-suited to SUV use of all.  Once again,
if people are dumb enough to buy such a vehicle because they think
it's safe, I can only find it mildly amusing when something bad
happens to them.  That sounds horrible, and I guess it's really not
what I meant, just that I have no sympathy for any misfortune that
comes to someone driving such an inherently unsafe vehicle when they
don't actually need a truck.  Flame away...