Re: Front License plates

I have an air dam on the front of my 1971 1750 GTV, and it was designed when
Missouri had the name of the state and they month of the plate sticker both
at the top of the plate.  The new plates they came out with about 3 years ago
have Missouri on the top, and the month and year stickers on the bottom of
the plate.

There was a lot of confusion as most license plate brackets covered up either
the state or the expiration stickers.  Several articles in the local papers
indicated the police were being rather aggressive in fining people for having
one or more of the three things covered up.  Well, the opening on the air dam
was NOT going to allow my front plate to pass if I got stopped, as it was
just too small from top to bottom.  The only solution that I could think of,
was to take some really good pictures of the plates, then reduce them in size
so that all the needed stuff would show.  Since the plate is about hidden
anyway, the chances that someone would ever know that it was only 90% of
standard size were probably zero.  Fortunately, I have never had to implement
the plan, as I just moved the stickers up enough to show, and haven't had any
problems ever.

I haven't wanted to put the front plate on my New Beetle either, have it and
the holder in the trunk.  The car had just been transferred from a Kansas
dealer (no front plates in KS) the day before I bought it, so the front plate
holder was not installed.  I figure I can go at least a year or two and if I
should get stopped, say the dealer keeps forgetting to install it when I take
it in for service.

John Justus