Re: alfa-digest V8 #484

>Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:58:18 +1300
>From: Alex Jenner <alexj@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Kinda Scary look into the future
>
>Haven't tried to get 74LS lately but I guess in many applications the
>CMOS (74HC or whatever) version might do the job (IF you can still get
>those ones!!!). Or how hard is it to simulate 74x with a FPGA?

Easy.

module ti74ls00 (a,b,q);
input [3:0] a;
input [3:0] b;
output [3:0] q;
assign q=~(a&b);
endmodule;

>Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:32:27 -0000
>From: "Nick Koleszar" <nick@domain.elided>
>Subject: RE: the future of black-box controlled cars.
>
>Surely what will happen eventually is that hobbyists/restorers will maintain
>libraries of standard ROM images from the various black boxes which can be
>downloaded into universal black-boxes in order to replace failed devices on
>cars which we now consider modern but, as usual, will one day just be
>someone's clunker or another person's "classic"? Then, all you need to do is
>map the physical inputs and outputs to the relevant hooks in the software
>and match values where necessary. No doubt there'll be something like
>Microsoft Motor Management with AutoEPROM plug-in available for the MS
>MacWinX 2020 OS of the day.

I prefer to think that the ECU emulators of the future will be open-source.
Look at the emulators for classic arcade machines, Apple ][+, Commodore64,
Atari 400/800, Amiga, etc.  Modern computing hardware and the tools to
program them are so powerful that it's possible to reproduce what
was 15 years ago on the cutting edge of technology by a college kid in
his spare time.  A 1985 Amiga is way more complex than a vintage 1985 ECU,
so it's only a matter of motivation.

http://home.kooee.com.au/kabral/
http://www.zip.com.au/~alexm/faq/

-Dennis