Re: Burman steering box

<snip>
>Has anyone out there ever tried to rebuild a Burman steering box from a 115?
>And where might I find bushings, seals and shims?  Since I have the engine out
>of my GTV right now, it's prime time to consider giving attention to the
>steering box.

The problem with 105/115 cars at this point in their ~30 year life is high
mileage which causes slop in both the steering box as well as the idler arm
on the other side.  Get a rebuilt pair and they will make an amazing
difference in a high mileage car.

Also, in addition to the bushing and seals, you need to replace the
balls.  I used 9/32 chrome steel balls purchased from a local bearing
company in a "ball pack" box of 80.  The trick for reassembly is getting
the wormshaft through the main nut which carries the recirculating balls,
and packing the individual balls on the wormshaft's inner and outer bearing
races, and fitting the darn thing together before the bearings falls into
the box.  Use heavy grease to "glue" the bearings to the races, then put
them in the freezer overnight before reassembly AND WORK FAST.  The
procedure is available in the Autobooks (Keith Ball) workshop manual.

If someone knows a source for the bushings and seals, please publish.

//kct, Powell, TN