European Licence Plates

James Montebello says

<In the UK, license plates can be made up and purchased by private firms,
as long as you "own" the registration number (which, like CA, stays with
the vehicle).  There are regulations governing size, colors, fonts,
etc., but there's some wiggle room there>

This is broadly still the case.....but as of two months ago there is less
wiggle room than there was. The legislation regarding sizing and positioning
has been tightened up, largely because of the increasing reliance on speed
cameras to police our roads. I was thinking of having plates with a little
Alfa badge on one side. These would now be illegal, and the only logos allowed
are the national flags, the Scottish Saltire, the Welsh Dragon and the Union
Flag.....though the cross of St George is allowable also this tends to be the
emblem adopted by  English right wing nationalists so unfortuantely tends to
mark you out as one of 'them' if you use it....Oh yes, the EU emblem is also
allowed....11 (or is it 15???  I forget) yellow stars on a blue background
(aping the Stars and Stripes...though they would deny it!).

The number painted/stuck on the bonnet/hood still raises the hackles in some
of us 'motorheads' as these were used on the rally Mini-Cooper 'S' which won
the Monte Carlo rally....might have been 1965 or thereabouts...only to be
disqualified by the French for not having the plates mounted vertically.
Sabres were rattled believe me....and the words 'French' and 'Cheat' may
possibly have been used in close proximity to each other. I think that they
may technically be illegal now, but it would have to be a policeman with
nothing better to do who would pull you up for it.

Tim Hancock  164TS Lusso   Boston UK  ( The 164l threw a tantrum last week and
melted the heated rear window relay...without blowing the fuse..naturally.
Fixed by a nice man at our local auto electrics place. I could have done it
myself, but his work is neater than mine)