RE: the future of black-box controlled cars.

Surely what will happen eventually is that hobbyists/restorers will maintain
libraries of standard ROM images from the various black boxes which can be
downloaded into universal black-boxes in order to replace failed devices on
cars which we now consider modern but, as usual, will one day just be
someone's clunker or another person's "classic"? Then, all you need to do is
map the physical inputs and outputs to the relevant hooks in the software
and match values where necessary. No doubt there'll be something like
Microsoft Motor Management with AutoEPROM plug-in available for the MS
MacWinX 2020 OS of the day.

Who knows, maybe one day, my concentration on IT today will turn out to be
an invaluable asset for working on classic and vintage automobiles?

I think I better start looking into this.

The other alternative, of course, is for the manufacturers to finally
recognise that some people like to enjoy cars for longer than 3 years
maximum and actually find out how well an engine runs when it has finally
been run in. With a little luck, the car makers of the future will maintain
some of the knowledge and parts necessary to keep the cars going. I doubt it
would be financially-prudent (at least to their immediate shareholders) for
them to keep all the tooling and manufacturing around but these days the
car-makers don't even make the bits themselves, they assemble the cars from
a mass of bought-in parts, some of them custom-made.

myEPROM.com anyone?

nk

Nick Koleszar   koleszar@domain.elided
1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0