Re: 69 GTV brake reservoir needed

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>>Yes these are tough to get. I don't know where to get
one and would like to have a new one also. That said,
Scott does have some good suggestions. Definitely try
alfa stop and the other English suppliers. I understand
one of them (Highwood?)undertook to commission a
replacement for the dual circuit master cylinder on
these cars.

Scott, the U.S. 69 brake system is more or less unique.
It is a dual circuit, dual servo, system with the floor
mounted pedals and remote m/c. The reservoir is
rectangular, similar, but not the same as the one for
the bulkhead mounted booster/master cylinder. There are
two wells and two outlets that feed the two chambers of
the master cylinder. <<

The RHD and 69 US dual circuit brake master cylinders are definitely
different, and nobody has yet to my knowledge worked out a way of using a
RHD cylinder in a US car, but I have a feeling that the reservoirs may well
be the same.  The reservoir I am referring to has two roughly square
compartments with a connection between the two, and is is held onto a
bracket on the inner wing by a spring clip.  They were first seen in Europe
when the cars (still single circuit) got a hydraulic clutch, then when dual
circuit brakes came in, LHD cars got hanging pedals but RHD cars retained
the under-floor set up.  This meant that that clutch now had its own
(round) reservoir while the brakes used the 'double square' remote
reservoir used on earlier cars, but now one side of the reservoir fed the
front brakes and the other side the rears.  So this type of reservoir is
common here as it was used in all cars from about 68 until the end of RHD
production in 78, and I've probably got 20-30 used ones in stock.  I can
e-mail a photo to anyone interested, so that they can check whether they
are indeed the same.

Chris Sweetapple
Highwood Motor Company
Swansea, U.K.