164 door locks

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my 164 door locks. The driver's side door lock
seems to be jammed. It is incredibly difficult to get my key in and out.
It seems that the pistons that ride on top of the key are not going up and
down easily. It has been this way for a while now. For a few days i got
better than it has ever been and now it is back to where it was. I have to
unlock the passenger door and walk around to get in. I am still trying to
debug problems with the remote keyless entry, so I have to use the key.
There is a little metal "window" that covers the keyhole, and it does not
seem to be returning to its closed position properly. Perhaps water is
getting in there and messing things up.
Has anyone had this problem? Is there any good way of lubricating the
lock?
If I should replace it, do I buy a lock and bring it to a locksmith to
have him match it up with my key?

Any help is appreciated.

Karl
'91 164L